We all know many men keeps their wallet in their back pocket. While we are in a hurry and in a rush to catch up with time we quickly grab our essentials and wallet, keep it in our back pocket and leave for the day. You must be thinking that what’s new in it, everybody does it??
Yes it is true , many of us keep the wallet in our back pocket but it is not recommended to keep an overstuffed wallet in your back pocket.
WHY IT SHOULD NOT BE KEPT???
The reason for not keeping it is because it causes a great problem and stress on our spine. As we keep the wallet in our back pocket and sit on it unknowingly for longer duration, it puts a significant pressure on our sciatic nerve and disturbs the alignment of pelvis and spine which in turn results into low back ache. It is also known as ‘HIP POCKET SYNDROME’.
WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENS TO SPINE AND ASSOSCIATED STRUCTURES????
- When we sit on an over-sized wallet for hours, the pelvis of that side rises up resulting in a curve and side bending to that side and hence in order to maintain a stable and straight vision there will be a counterbalance slight bending in thoracic region towards the opposite side.
- So the muscles on the opposite side of curve lengthens and will become passively insufficient while the same side muscles like quadratus lumborum, paraspinalis, obliques and transversus abdominis etc will be in a shortened position resulting in active insufficiency of these muscles.
- This muscular imbalance and alteration in curve will make them quick to fatigue, causing pain and joint strain.
- Also the sciatic nerve leaves the pelvis from the buttock area, will be under constant pressure causing sciatica symptoms with pain and weakness in the leg muscles.
- Even it does not look good to walk with the unsymmetrical butt appearance.
- Safety concerns are also related, as keeping wallet there in our back pocket gives an easy access to thieves even.
WHAT CAN BE DONE?????
- Cut the excess unimportant stuff from the wallet and get rid of all the worldly clutter from it.
- Keep it in your front pocket or in a coat’s pocket.
- If you are a back pocket person and cannot refrain yourself from keeping it there, then always remember to remove it from back pocket before sitting on it.
- Always go for a thin sized wallet. There are lots of thin and smart wallets available in market these days.
- So take care of small – small changes that can have a great impact on our musculoskeletal health.